Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cajun turkey burgers and sweet potato "chips"

My friend Meredith recently shared a recipe that she absolutely loved: Sandra Lee's recipe for cajun turkey burgers. It took me a while to make it, but I finally got around to it this past weekend. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long! I love that it contains pureed vegetables; and when you top it with some red onion, lettuce, avocado, and the sauce containing chopped tomatoes, it tastes really fresh and healthy, while still feeling like a treat.

The burgers are moist, flavorful, and have just enough kick without being overly spicy. The true test was that I enjoyed the burger without a bun since I am currently experimenting with a gluten free diet. I've always thought a bunless burger sounded about as appetizing as a pickled pig's foot, but because this one was so tasty and not at all fatty, I truly didn't miss the bun. (For those who know my affinity for crusty bread, this is a bold statement.)

Note: If you google Sandra Lee "cajun turkey burger" recipe, you will find two versions: one is on the Food Network website, and one is on her own personal website. The recipe I used was from her website. I've reproduced it below, with some minor adjustments.

Sandra Lee's Cajun Turkey Burgers

*This makes about four generously sized burgers, so double if you want more.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions
3 tbsp celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
2 tbsp plus 1/2 cup tartar sauce
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs (I used corn flake crumbs to avoid gluten)
1 large egg, beaten
salt & pepper
hot sauce (optional)
1 roma tomato, diced
1 teaspoon finely minced or mashed garlic (the original recipe calls for Gourmet Garden's garlic blend, but if you can't find it or don't feel like buying it, just mash up some fresh garlic)
lettuce, red onion, and/or avocado for topping

Directions:

1. In a food processor (I used a magic bullet...a blender would also suffice), combine the scallions, celery, red peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add turkey, 3 tbsp tartar sauce, bread crumbs, and egg, and mix well. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Shape mixture into four equal size patties.

2. Preheat broiler. Place patties on a foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. (*Or you can just cut into it to make sure it's done)

3) In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup tartar sauce, diced tomato, and garlic. Serve burgers on a toasted bun with lettuce, onion, and tartar sauce mixture (perhaps some avocado as well).

And now for my side dish....



I call this "Sweet potatoes for people who hate sweet potatoes." It was born out of my theory that almost any vegetable will taste good if it is slice thinly enough. To make these potato "chips," simply peel and thinly slice a sweet potato. If you have a mandoline, that would be the best way to ensure evenly sliced potatoes; but a steady hand and a good knife will do the trick as well.

Put the potato slices into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 350 until they are cooked through and tender. FYI: unless you slice them super thin, they won't really take on a crispy chip texture - it will be more like a soft, slightly chewy chip.





1 comment:

  1. Turkey burgers and chips both sound delicious and we will be sure to try I am always trying or remaking your recipes.

    ReplyDelete